as most of you know, the 2.0 release was a truly massive effort, in which I turned the Starling code upside down, leaving almost no parts untouched. I'm still extremely happy with the outcome! The flexibility of the new render architecture is, in my opinion, unmatched; it allows extensions and features that were unthinkable in the past.
As was to be expected, such a big release also brought a few problems with it. Thankfully, you guys were very supportive with reporting the issues and helping me get to the root of them. Thus, I'm happy to report that I've fixed (almost) every single reported bug!
Of course, that's not all:
* The major new feature of this release is the DistanceFieldStyle. Its main usage: allowing to scale a single bitmap font to arbitrary sizes, with some font effects rendered in a single pass, directly in the fragment shader. Of course, the same style can be used for any other shapes, too — e.g. for icons and symbols in your apps.
* The TextField class now supports custom text compositors. To write your own compositor, simply implement the ITextCompositor interface and register your font at the TextField class, just as you previously did with bitmap fonts.
* Not directly part of this release, but available as an extension, is the LightStyle, which allows you to use normal maps for realistic lighting effects. It's the perfect showcase of what can now be achieved by an extension — optimal rendering performance, without a single change to the Starling core.
Since so many of you are working with the head revision of Starling anyway, I'm optimistic that this release candidate will become the final version very quickly. Still, the more people test it, the better! Please report any bugs and problems you encounter. Thanks a lot in advance!
You can get the new version on GitHub: Starling v2.1-rc
Alternatively, simply fetch the head revision from your local GitHub clone (via
Finally, don't forget to post your feedback below!
I'm looking forward to any comments! 😃