I know this subject comes up every once in a while, and I've been searching for answers and not finding what I want despite my research. I'm hoping someone might be able to help a desperate friend
Here's the issue : I'm trying to play a video in my Starling project, on an iOS device. The solutions I've tried so far are as follows :
1. Video class : This works, but on devices, the video appears to be laggy and skippy, because it doesn't use hardware acceleration (GPU). So I ruled this option out.
2. StageVideo class : This works perfectly, but there are 2 major drawbacks when using this : https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3186454 and https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3360651
To be brief, StageVideo messes up your UI and takes away half your performance forever.
So, obviously, I ruled this out.
3. StageWebView : StageWebView kinda works, but I have no control over the player at all. I only want to play a video and remove it when it's done, plain and simple. StageWebView does'nt let me control anything, doesn't let me know when the video is finished, etc. All in all, it's not what I wanted. So I ruled this out as well.
4. Air Native extensions (ANE) : I have looked for a native extension that could do what I want. Here's the one I have tried so far : http://darkredz.com/ios-uiwebview-and-videoplayer-native-extension-for-air-mobile/
However, I haven't been able to make it work (using the trial version before I buy it if it works). It gives me a null object reference in some part of the constructor of the player, and there's no way for me to see what I'm doing wrong (I haven't been able to find any example code in AS3 for this).
So that's where I'm at. I don't know if anyone has encountered a similar problem and has been able to workaround any of these issues, but if someone has, please let me know !
Here's a quick recap of what I need :
- Play a video on iOS device.
- Set the video's size.
- That's pretty much it. I don't really want player controls like the native player or anything, just a plain video playback.
- My videos are h.264 with AAC audio, if that helps !
Thanks for the help !